The study was conducted to elucidate the determinants of food security among the maize growing rural households of Bogra district. Data were collected from 0 farmers, who were selected using a stratified random sampling method. The sample farmers were classified as small (0.51-1.00 ha), medium (1.01-3.00 ha) and large (above 3.00 ha) according to their possession of land. To collect data, a questionnaire was administered through face-to-face interviews. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, food security index and logit model. The results of the study revealed that almost all rural households in Bogra district were food secured. It was checked by using recommended minimum calorie requirement (i.e., 2122 kcal). Based on the results, 20 (33.33 percent)households were found to be food insecured while the rest 40 (66.67 percent)households were food secured households. Thus, only 20 (33.33 percent) of the sampled households could not get the minimum and above recommended calorie level, i.e., 2122 kcal per capita per day. The results of logit model indicated that four variables out of eight have influence on household’s food security condition. The factors influencing household food security were found to be age of household head, household size, monthly agricultural income and food expenditure. The results of logit model showed that a unit increase in food expenditure will increase the probability of the household being food secure, households with older heads are more food insecure, household food security decreases with increasing household size, and increased income of household’s ensure food security status.


Downloads Statistics

Download Full History