000042714 001__ 42714
000042714 005__ 20180122205733.0
000042714 037__ $$a1667-2016-136216
000042714 041__ $$aen
000042714 245__ $$aThe Incidence of U.S. Agricultural Subsidies on Farmland Rental Rates
000042714 260__ $$c2008
000042714 269__ $$a2008
000042714 270__ $$mbkirwan@arec.umd.edu$$pKirwan,   Barrett E.
000042714 300__ $$a34
000042714 336__ $$aWorking or Discussion Paper
000042714 490__ $$aWorking Papers
000042714 490__ $$aWP 08-08
000042714 520__ $$aEach year U.S. farmers receive more subsidies than needy families receive through welfare assistance or post-secondary students receive through student aid grants. Yet, who benefits from agricultural subsidies is an open question. Economic theory predicts the entire subsidy incidence should be on the farmland owners. Since non-farmers own nearly half of all farmland, this implies that a substantial portion of all subsidies accrue to non-farmers while a significant share of all farmers receive no benefits. Using a complementary set of policy quasiexperiments, I find that farmers who rent the land they cultivate capture 75 percent of the subsidy, leaving just 25 percent for landowners. This finding contradicts the prediction from neoclassical models. The standard prediction may not hold due to less than perfect competition in the farmland rental market; the share captured by landowners increases with local measures of competitiveness in the farm land rental market.
000042714 542__ $$fLicense granted by Liesl Koch (lkoch@arec.umd.edu) on 2008-08-26T18:47:28Z (GMT):

<center>  <h2> Deposit Agreement </h2> </center>
I represent that I am the creator of the digital material identified herein (&ldquo;Work&rdquo;).
I represent that the work is original and that I either own all rights of copyright 
or have the right to deposit the copy in a digital archive such as AgEcon Search. 
I represent that in regard to any non-original material included in the Work I have
secured written permission of the copyright owner (s) for this use or believe this 
use is allowed by law. I further represent that I have included all appropriate 
credits and attributions. I hereby grant the Regents of the University of Minnesota
(&ldquo;University&rdquo;), through AgEcon Search, a non-exclusive right to access, reproduce, 
and distribute the Work, in whole or in part, for the purposes of security, preservation,
and perpetual access. I grant the University a limited, non-exclusive right to make
derivative works for the purpose of migrating the Work to other media or formats in
order to preserve access to the Work. I do not transfer or intend to transfer any 
right of copyright or other intellectual property to the University. If the Deposit 
Agreement is executed by the Author�s Representative, the Representative shall separately
execute the following representation: I represent that I am authorized by the Author
to execute this Deposit Agreement on behalf of the Author.

000042714 650__ $$aAgricultural and Food Policy
000042714 650__ $$aEnvironmental Economics and Policy
000042714 650__ $$aLand Economics/Use
000042714 700__ $$aKirwan, Barrett E.
000042714 8564_ $$s1690304$$uhttp://ageconsearch.umn.edu/record/42714/files/08-08.pdf
000042714 887__ $$ahttp://purl.umn.edu/42714
000042714 909CO $$ooai:ageconsearch.umn.edu:42714$$pGLOBAL_SET
000042714 912__ $$nSubmitted by Liesl Koch (lkoch@arec.umd.edu) on 2008-08-26T18:53:48Z
No. of bitstreams: 1
08-08.pdf: 1690304 bytes, checksum: a9620690ec9bd5e0c61eee0d6ef72501 (MD5)
000042714 912__ $$nMade available in DSpace on 2008-08-26T18:53:49Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1
08-08.pdf: 1690304 bytes, checksum: a9620690ec9bd5e0c61eee0d6ef72501 (MD5)
  Previous issue date: 2008
000042714 982__ $$gUniversity of Maryland>Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics>Working Papers
000042714 980__ $$a1667