SUGAR AND SUGAR BEET PRODUCTION IN HUNGARY AND POLAND IN THE YEARS 1995-2014

The work contains a comparison of the changes at the sugar market in Hungary and in Poland in the years 1995-2014. Sugar beet crop area in Hungary has decreased by 87% and in Poland by 48%, while beet root harvest dropped by 25% in Hungary, but remained unchanged in Poland. Sugar beet production was abandoned – either by choice or necessity – by 62% of farmers in Hungary (in the years 2000-2014) and by 87% in Poland (1995-2014). In the 20 year period sugar beet production shrunk in Hungary by 73% and in Poland it grew by 29%. Between 1995 and 2008 11 out of 12 sugar factories in Hungary were closed, while in Poland out of 76 factories, 19 remained operational through that period and 18 remained a year after. Sugar exports in 2013 grew compared to 1995 by 15 times in Hungary, but by 253 times in Poland. Sugar imports in Hungary grew 105 times, in Poland it dropped by 40%. Lifting of sugar production quotas in the EU in 2017 can result in complete abandoning of sugar production in Hungary and its further growth in Poland. Hungary has nevertheless been strengthening their position as the leading producer of isoglucose in the EU.


Other Titles:
PRODUKCJA CUKRU I BURAKÓW CUKROWYCH NA WĘGRZECH I W POLSCE W LATACH 1995-2014
Subject(s):
Issue Date:
May 19 2017
Publication Type:
Journal Article
Record Identifier:
http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/record/257438
ISSN:
1508-3535
Language:
English
Published in:
Roczniki (Annals), 2016, Number 3




 Record created 2017-05-28, last modified 2018-01-23

Fulltext:
Download fulltext
PDF

Rate this document:

Rate this document:
1
2
3
 
(Not yet reviewed)